Saturday, May 8, 2010

Frustrated? Not Losing Weight?

I really don't know why that guy is so frustrated.  He looks plenty thin to me!

Ya know, we've all been there when dieting.  For instance, this email I got today from an unnamed source (unless he lets me know he doesn't mind me using his name):   I AM NOT AS ENTHUSIASTIC ABOUT JORGE CRUISE’S DIET.  MY SCALE HASN’T MOVED IN WEEKS   This is a real email... I don't just make up stuff for this blog!  I feel your pain....I've wanted several times to just yell, "UNCLE!!!!"  I hate to say this, but for the most part family members will appreciate this paragraph more than others.

I  believe in Jorge's plan, BUT as my nephew let me know, this plan is not a whole lot different than the South Beach Diet.  It's just packaged a bit differently.  So Jorge has the S/C value. But basically it's cutting back significantly on the sugar and replacing the bad carbs (refined and processed foods) with lots of whole grains and fiber.  If you also limit your fat intake (such as hot dogs and salami...which by the way, I have a really tough time giving up!!) you'll also continue to lose weight.  South  Beach diet lets you eat fruit which Jorge's diet doesn't because of the high natural sugar content.  Same with yogurt and milk.






Some diets are better suited for some than others.  That guy on the ABOVE left was me on South Beach Diet during phase 1.  The diet, overall, is a healthy diet but oh my gosh, that phase 1 is pure hell.  I felt like I was starving 24x7 for the first 2 weeks.  My wife was the same way, and she got a LOT more frustrated on the diet because she loses weight at much slower pace than me.  I do have to admit that I'm a really picky picky eater, so many of the recipes in the 120 SBD cookbooks that we have (actually only 3) just aren't very appetizing to me.  But, also a LOT of recipes in those cookbooks have "x's" by them so we'll know to not try them again. I think there were more "x's" than not.    A few of the recipes aren't bad and I've been trying to adapt them to the Jorge Cruise recipe.  Look back at a couple of posts and see the mini cheesecakes which came from SBD...not bad...I'll be making them again in the next day or so.







CAN YOU HAVE SOME WINE????



Ya like wine?  You don't have to drink the whole bottle!  Have a glass with dinner...the red wine is known to be very healthy.   And as far as recipes, Jorge has some decent recipes in his book.  In fact, what I seen is a friggin TON better than all the South Beach Diet book recipes.  But I gotta be honest....some of Jorge's might end up in the trash as well.




In fact, speaking of other Jorge recipes, talk to my brother Steve.  He thinks Jorge's pancakes are the best!  I tried the recipe (made with soy flour) and they were some of the most disgusting things I've ever eaten.  See the pancakes to the right?  I think they are wheat germ pancakes...I found the picture out on bing.com  searching for pancakes... WELL, as awful as those look to be,  I think those look (and probably taste) like filet mignon compared to how the Jorge pancake recipe turned out.  My wife and I both tried to make the pancakes and we dumped them.  I thought my wife had screwed up.,..unlikely since she's a really good cook...but we all make mistakes. So I tried them...awful again and never again!


But sometimes, and I will admit, I do make mistakes!  I made Jorge Cruise's Belly Good mac 'n cheese and it was awful.  If I could have wrung out the mac 'n cheese butter would have dripped out like wringing out a wet washcloth.   When my son and I stayed a night at my niece's house a few weeks ago, she was making the recipe and all I could think of was, "uh oh!"  She said the kids loved it and it came out great.  Well, I had MY doubts.  Son-of-a-gun, it WAS delicious.  I gotta try it again!


My latest WebMD newsletter came in and there was a teaser headline on the new Atkins Diet and if 's healthy.   I'll have to take a look at that later.


One of my favorite cartoon characters will end this post - Snagglepuss...


EXIT - STAGE RIGHT!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment